Wednesday, 17 February 2010

Sandwiches and Salad, Homemade Winter vegetable Soup.

Up and about early this morning, I had a light breakfast of n apple,a banana and couple of portions of raisins All washed down with a glass of freshly squeezed orange juice. Now that is 4 of my 5 a day before 8am, that is good going !

Lunch - I was home for lunch today and I thought I would continue with the healthy eating and have a tuna sandwich on brown seeded bread.
Tuna Sandwich with Salad and Crisps

I had a few mixed salad leaves and some cucumber ant tomato just to add a bit of colour and nutrition to the plate. Also a packet of plain crisps and some home pickled shallots that were made back in September and are now just right. There is also a little bit of low fat salad cream on the salad for extra flavour.

Tea - Now I haven't made a warming soup in a while and with having fruit for breakfast and sandwiches and salad for lunch then today seemed like a good day for something warm and hearty. Earlier in the week I popped up to our local farm shop "Muddy Footprints" and picked up some good quality winter vegetables. I quickly surveyed what we had left and considered my options, and then went for a thick homemade winter vegetable soup consisting of Onions, Potatoes, Carrots, Parsnips, Celery, Swede and Leeks. What a hearty combination.
Homemade Winter Vegetable Soup with Bread & Butter

All the vegetables were lightly browned in a large frying pan before being placed in a large stockpot with 2 litres of Marigold Stock Powder and boiled rapidly for an hour. Then the vegetables and stock were liquidised in a food processor, returned to the original pot. I then added half a pint of milk and warmed through again. A little freshly ground black pepper was used to finish it off. I had 2 full bowls of homemade winter vegetable soup and 3 slices of bread & butter which by my standards is a pretty light evening meal.

Not a bad day, plenty of fruit and vegetables, I did have a snickers bar ( marathon ) and another packet of crisps but they are my downfall. However I do think the homemade winter vegetable soup did go some way to counteract this.
Lets hope I can keep up the good work for the rest of the week.

Until tomorrow, James Broadhouse ( M6JDB )

No comments:

Post a Comment